Although scar revision can provide a more pleasing cosmetic result or improve a scar that has healed poorly, a scar cannot be completely erased. Scar revision surgery will attempt to minimize a scar so that it is less conspicuous and blends in with the surrounding skin tone and texture. The type of scar you have will determine the appropriate techniques your plastic surgeon will use to improve your scar.
- You are bothered by a scar anywhere on your body.
- Your flexibility is impeded by scarring.
- Improved skin tone.
- Improved skin texture.
- Scars can become less noticeable.
- You are physically healthy.
- You have a positive outlook and realistic goals for your scar revision surgery.
- You do not have active acne or other skin diseases in the area to be treated.
- You are a non-smoker.
The final results of your scar revision surgery will be long-lasting however it may take several months for your final results to become apparent and in some cases, it may take a year for the new scar to fully heal and fade. Although good results are expected, there are no guarantees; and in some situations, it may not be possible to achieve optimal results with a single surgical procedure and another surgery may be necessary.