Tummy-tuck surgery or abdominoplasty can flatten your abdomen by removing loose, excess fat and skin and tightening muscles in the abdominal wall. It can also remove some, if not all, of the stretch marks in your lower abdomen. It is popular following pregnancy, massive weight loss, or whenever a flabby abdomen with weak muscles impairs body contour.
- If you’ve got flab, stretch marks or excess skin in your abdomen that does not improve with diet or exercise.
- If the shape of your abdomen has been affected by pregnancy or massive weight loss.
- If aging and/or heredity has added extra skin on your abdomen, abdominal muscle weakness, or both.
- If prior surgery or weight fluctuations have left you with extra skin on your abdomen, abdominal muscle weakness, or both.
- Tummy-tuck surgery will restore a flat tummy.
- You will look better in clothes and swimwear.
- You will have a more youthful-looking body.
- Your weight is stable. Slender individuals with extra fat and loose skin in the lower tummy are the best candidates. (If you are generally obese, this procedure is not appropriate for you.)
- You are physically healthy. You must be in relatively good physical shape to tolerate this procedure.
- You are finished having children. The muscles that are repaired during an abdominoplasty can separate again during a future pregnancy.
- Internal or external scars from any previous abdominal surgery may also affect your candidacy.
- You are a non-smoker.
Barring another pregnancy or significant weight gain, your results should be permanent. Your tummy tuck will result in a flatter, firmer abdominal contour that is more proportionate with your body type and weight. Plastic surgery will not prevent the normal effects of aging. Your skin will get a little looser as you age, but not much. However, if you gain and then lose a large amount of weight after a tummy tuck, the abdominal skin could stretch out again, negatively impacting the overall contour. Likewise, if you become pregnant your abdomen will loosen again. For this reason, it is best to wait until after you finish having children to undergo a tummy tuck. If you’re planning to lose weight, do it before then.