Breast augmentation referred to as augmentation mammaplasty or as patients commonly request “a boob job,” involves using implants or fat transfers to restore or increase the size of breasts. The results help to achieve a more rounded breast shape or improve natural breast size asymmetry.
Breast augmentation uses three general options silicone gel implants, saline implants, or fat grafting.
Saline breast implants are filled with sterile saltwater. Should the implant shell leak, a saline implant will collapse, and the saline will be absorbed and naturally expelled by the body. Saline breast implants provide a uniform shape, firmness, and feel, and are FDA-approved for augmentation in women age 18 or older.
Silicone breast implants are filled with silicone gel. The gel feels a bit more like natural breast tissue. If the implant leaks, the gel may remain within the implant shell or may escape into the breast implant pocket. A leaking implant filled with silicone gel will not collapse. Silicone breast implants are FDA-approved for augmentation in women age 22 or older.
Gummy bear breast implants are considered form-stable because they hold their shape even when the implant shell is broken. The difference from traditional silicone implants lies in the thicker consistency of the gummy bear implants’ gel. When compared with traditional implants, gummy bear implants are firmer, hold their shape better, and feel more natural to the touch.
Fat transfer uses liposuction techniques to remove your fat cells from a predetermined location then inject the fat into your breasts.
- If you want to increase the fullness and projection of your breasts
- If you want to improve the balance of breast and hip contours
- If you want to enhance your self-image and self-confidence
- If you want a better proportioned or more appealing figure
- To restore symmetry if one of your breasts is smaller than the other.
- If you wish your clothes fit better
- When pregnancy, weight loss, or aging has affected the size and shape of your breasts
- You can look better in clothes and swimwear.
- You can have a more youthful-looking figure.
- You can feel more proportional.
- Augmentation is a long-term solution for achieving an ideal figure.
- You are healthy and you aren’t pregnant or breastfeeding.
- You have realistic expectations.
- Your breasts are fully developed.
- You are bothered by the feeling that your breasts are too small.
- You are dissatisfied with your breasts losing shape and volume after pregnancy, weight loss or with aging.
- You are unhappy with the upper part of your breast appearing “empty”.
- Your breasts are asymmetrical.
- You are a non-smoker.
While a breast augmentation yields larger breasts right away, the final results may take a few weeks as the swelling subsides, and the skin stretches. Some patients may need to wear a bandeau to help shape their breasts, especially if they have underlying asymmetry or very small breasts to start with. Incision lines may take several months, even a couple of years, to fade.
Over time, your breasts will change due to aging, weight fluctuations, hormonal factors, and gravity. As the appearance of your breasts changes with time, some patients have a breast lift or an implant exchange to restore a more youthful contour.
Breast implants are not considered to be lifetime devices, and they may need to be replaced. You can see your plastic surgeon for an annual examination to evaluate your breast health and implant integrity.