Gynecomastia surgery reduces breast size in men, flattening and enhancing the chest contours. Gynecomastia is a condition of overdeveloped or enlarged breasts in men that can occur at any age. In severe cases, the excess breast tissue may cause the breasts to sag and stretch the areola. The position and size of the areola can be surgically improved and excess skin reduced. Treated properly, gynecomastia can be effectively and safely improved or corrected completely.
- If you experience psychological and/or physical discomfort associated with enlarged breasts.
- If you have first tried diet and exercise to reduce your breast size, but this did not significantly help.
- If you are unhappy with the size or appearance of your breasts and want to improve your overall body proportions.
- If you are reluctant to remove your shirt in public, to swim, to participate in sports, or to exercise at a gym.
- If you want to increase your social confidence.
- You will have a better-defined, more muscular chest.
- You will reduce overall discomfort.
- You will have increased confidence and a better self-image.
- Men whose condition cannot be corrected through alternative medical treatments.
- Healthy individuals who do not have a life-threatening illness or medical conditions that can impair healing.
- Men with a positive outlook and specific goals in mind for improving the physical symptoms of gynecomastia
- Men who are physically healthy and of relatively normal weight
- Men who have realistic expectations
- Men whose breast development has stabilized
- Men who are bothered by the feeling that their breasts are too large
- Nonsmokers and non-drug users
In cases where gynecomastia is primarily the result of excess fatty tissue, liposuction techniques alone may be used.
- This requires the insertion of a cannula, a thin hollow tube, through several small incisions
- The cannula is moved back and forth in a controlled motion to loosen the excess fat, which is then removed from the body by vacuum suction.
Excision also is necessary if the areola will be reduced or the nipple will be repositioned to a more natural male contour.
- Incision patterns vary depending on the specific conditions and surgical preference.
- Your incisions will be closed either with absorbable sutures or stitches that will be removed within one to two weeks following your arm lift.
Gynecomastia surgical results are permanent, assuming your weight is stable and are immediately visible. Over time, post-surgical swelling will subside, and incision lines will fade. The final results of your gynecomastia surgery may take 3-6 months to achieve. If your condition arose from the use of medication or anabolic steroids, further use could lead to recurrence.